Microfiction: King Arthur

 

A Knight's Take on King Arthur

Today is the day of the tournament. I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to be crowned the King- after all, everybody knows I'm the best knight we have. I get that nobody was able to pull the sword from the stone, so they're making us do this, but I bet I could if I tried. In walks Arthur, wait- did I just see him with the sword from the stone? There's no way. Someone must have pulled it for him. If I, a noble knight, can't pull it, there's no way that low life did. I won't accept it. 


The Moral of the Story

That loser just got the sword.


King Arthur and the sword
Source: Biography.com

Author's Note
This story was based on the tale of King Arthur and the sword! Arthur was a nobody in his village who was able to pull the sword from the stone, which was a power that only a king could do. They were trying to decide who would become the new king by a joust until Arthur was able to pull the sword. Nobody believed it, but eventually, he became king after proving his feat. I told this story from the perspective of a knight who wanted the position and Arthur claimed it first, making him jealous. 

Bibliography
Andrew Lang. "King Arthur: Tales of the Round Table" UnTextbook



Comments

  1. Hi Sidney,

    Wonderful reiteration of the original story! I've often thought about how the people around Arthur must've felt, no matter how strong and brawny there were, that Arthur was able to pull the sword from the stone so easily. Of course, the first thing that they would think is that he must've cheated his way to get the sword open -- there's just no way! I also liked the comedic aspect you added into the "moral of the story" section. I look forward to reading more from you in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sidney! I like that you told this story from another knight's perspective. I also chose to read about King Arthur and I also thought about what might have been going through the mind of someone who just saw this scrawny Arthur kid carrying around the sword that was in the stone. They must have been so shocked especially since they had all gathered to try to pull it from the stone and become king!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sidney,

    I really liked your idea to turn this classical tale into a micro fiction. I also really enjoyed that you wrote this from another knight's perspective, that was very creative! I think with micro fictions being so short, it is very easy to skip out on those little details that really make your story stand out. I think you should really push the limits of the word count on this one and add some extra details and maybe some backstory. This micro fiction is a great start, but I think it is a little bare bones. I would love to read it again if you add detail! I think you did an awesome job overall! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 7 Story: The Tiger King