Week 2 Story: Beauty and the Bagel


There once was a freshman who lived in a faraway place named Couch Tower, and she lived with three roommates. There was rumored to be great food at a nearby place called Campus Corner. The freshman decides to leave the dorm and asks if any of her roommates would like anything to eat. Two of the roommates asked for food items from every restaurant on campus corner and asked her to pay for all of them. 

When she got tired of hearing the two roommates' requests, she asks the third, "Do you want any food too?"

She replied, "I'm not that hungry, but you can pick me up a bagel from Einstein's if you have time."

Since it was only one bagel, she decides to pick it up on the way back from Campus Corner. 

The freshman heads to Campus Corner to buy all of the food and struggles to carry all of the take out bags. It got dark on her way back, and she got lost trying to navigate her way back to Couch Tower. Finally, after hours of walking, she stumbles upon Einstein's Bagels. She could see countless rows of perfect bagels in every flavor you could imagine lined up inside the shelves. 

When she went to try and open the door, it was locked. She realized they had closed an hour ago. She begins to walk away in defeat when she sees that the back door to the restaurant had been left propped open. She thought, "Since the door was left open, surely they won't mind if I take just one." 

When she reaches for a plain bagel, an officer from OU campus security walked in the store. 

She begins to put the bagel back, but it was no use. He had already seen her stealing. The officer threatens to arrest her, but they settle for a compromise. Her roommate must work for OU Food Services to repay her debt. 

She took the bagel to her roommate and told her, "I got you this bagel, but it cost me much more than just a bagel. You have to work for OU Food Services in payment for your bagel, and I don't know when you will be to stop." 

The third roommate didn't seem to be too upset at this news, and she arrived at Einstein's in the morning to begin her work. 

For three hours per day, she toasted bagels and spread cream cheese until she was exhausted. She did this for one week. At the end of the week, the manager at Einstein's told her she must make the perfect breakfast sandwich to cease her work. She was hesitant, as she didn't think she could do it, but the manager insisted. 

She made the perfect breakfast sandwich, and once it was complete, Joe Harroz came to Einstein's and offered her free tuition. 

She ate one last bagel and happily went back to Couch Tower to her roommates. 

Campus Corner at the University of Oklahoma
Source: Facebook

Bibliography. "Beauty and the Basilisk" from The Key of Gold by Josef Baudis. Web Source
    

Author's Note

This story is a spin-off of Beauty and the Basilisk, which is very similar to Beauty and the Beast. I wanted to make it relatable to students on our campus, so I made changes in the location, I changed the daughters to be the roommates and the Basilisk to Joe Harroz,  and changed the market to restaurants on campus. 

Comments

  1. Hi Sidney,

    I enjoyed reading your story for the week. I think it was a nice play on an original class. The way you changed out characters made it easy for OU students to better understand and relate. I look forward to reading through more of your posts in the upcoming weeks. Keep up the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sidney, I was shocked by you to use our college as your story's background! I think it is a good choice since that could make your story more impressive and attractive - we all are OU students!
    Also, your designed plot is a good source for me to study how to write a better story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sydney, I really enjoyed reading your twist on the Beauty and the Basilik. I too chose to rewrite this story and didn’t think to change its setting to something relatable. I think you did a great job adding all the specific locations in your story and it helped me to really picture the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sidney! I loved reading this story with a modern twist on the Beauty and Beast. I thought the bagel aspect was hilarious. It was a light hearted and fun read. I chose to rewrite this story as well, but yours is much more creative. I love how you brought in things close to your heart like OU and Campus Corner. Overall, a great plot and a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sidney!

    I love how you brought the campus into this story. The thought of the girl carrying a ton of food back to roommates is very relatable; I feel like as college students, we're always hungry. The girl being unbothered by her punishment was really funny to me. She's supposed to be "punished", but she's treating it like it's nothing. It also seems like it ended up not being a punishment at all; I definitely wouldn't complain if I got free tuition for one week of work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sidney! I really liked this story, especially the ending. It made me laugh because it was so unexpected for me! Having this story relate to OU students made it really great! I find myself wanting to be the third roommate who got free tuition, wouldn't that be nice? The modern twist on this story was engaging and I kept wanting to ready what would happen next. Great work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 7 Story: The Tiger King