Growth Mindset

     

    I am a person who's academic success is largely tied to their self-image and self-worth. I had never heard of Carol Dweck and/or growth mindset prior to this assignment, but after listening, I immediately realized I do have a fixed mindset. Since a lot of my self-worth is tied to academic performance, I tend to stick to subjects and areas where I know that I will succeed for the sake of my ego. I have a fear of failure; anything less than the best makes me feel like a fraud and like I'm not good enough. I have struggled with toxic perfectionism that causes constant anxiety when I feel like I'm mediocre. A lot of my life has been trying to tell myself that no matter my academic performance, whether I make a B or an A, I'm no less of a person and no less intelligent. That GPA number on One does not define me or my worth. One thing I would like to do is branch out and try new things, and if I don't succeed I try again. I need to learn that I'm gaining intelligence and that my learning is not because of the amount of intelligence I was born with. 
    One critique that I found to be persuasive is that the problem is not often in the students' mindset, it is rooted within the flaws of the education system; it is designed to serve a cookie-cutter student that has the ability to succeed in a traditional academic environment. This excludes students with mental disabilities, students from a lower socioeconomic status, and students who have other important duties outside the classroom that hinder them from prioritizing school. Instead, we should foster a more inclusive environment that allows every student to grow and succeed by adapting the school setting to them. 

Bizzell Memorial Library 
Source: OU Daily


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 7 Story: The Tiger King